Sunday, June 10, 2012

True Beauty Comes From Within

Emily Post's name is synonymous with proper etiquette and manners. She is the go to gal if you want to know how long is too long for sending a thank you note (better late than never), or which side the salad fork goes on (all the way to the left). I love Emily Post and I love reading her books. It amazes me that she could write about such mundane things in a way that makes them not only interesting, but often even humorous, without sounding like a holier-than-thou priss. She had more style and class in little finger (which she never would have raised in snobbery) than most people have in their whole being today. She understood that having good manners means being considerate of others. Her life didn't always make it easy for her to be such a classy lady either. Her husband was a philanderer, having various affairs with chorus girls...but she held her head high, even through the divorce, and kept her composure. She had an elegance I envy. When I am feeling petty or irritable I try to ask myself, what would Emily Post do?

Lately, I have been concerned about the younger generation's lack of manners. It bothers me with adults, but I have long since (and sense) stopped worrying about them, they are beyond my worry. When an adult is rude I merely use the opportunity to show them an example of good manners by extending to them all the graciousness I can muster. Children are a different matter altogether though. They must be instructed because they are at a stage in their life where they are looking to us to show them how to behave. While reading an article in a blog I highly admire, Elegantwoman.org, I found that I am not alone in my desire for deportment training. You can find a very concise and easy to read outline for training in the art of deportment on her blog HERE. And for more every day etiquette tips you can always check out the Emily Post Institute.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...