Friday, July 27, 2012

Some Tips on Cooking Meat

I was thinking very hard about what to post next for the blog, and I always first go to what is actively occurring in my life. Today, and this week, has been pretty boring with nothing new occurring. So, the next thing I think about is "what's for dinner tonight?". The answer is something with ground beef.

I am thinking that a burger sounds like the perfect thing to cook with the ground beef I bought a few days ago. Cooking burgers is a science I have struggled with for a very long time. That and cooking any meat.

My problem with cooking meat is that I definitely want the meat to be cooked throughout. There is a slim window of opportunity that your meat can be completely cooked without being cooked so long that it is dry, burnt or a weird texture.

I was told not too long ago that when grilling, if the meat is still "stuck" to the grill, it isn't ready to flip yet. This set off a light bulb in my head. That MUST be my problem...I figure if the meat is sticking to whatever surface I'm cooking on it must be ready to burn and need flipped.

I have given this concept a try now twice. Once was with chicken in my electric skillet, and the second was with a burger on my grill. I certainly had better results wtih not moving my meat until it was unstuck.

Another meat tip, don't try to cook it too hot too fast if you want it completely cooked through. If you are cooking your meat rare, it might be best to do a higher temp fast just for the outside of the meat....but I never cook rare so don't quote me on this.

I like my meat medium-well to well done. If there is any liquid that comes out that isn't completely clear I won't eat it! So with this in mind, if you are needing to wait until it is cooked all the way through, a high temperature is just going to over cook or burn the outside.

Another tip with meat, if you like it cooked all the way through, sometimes it will be necessary to fillet cut or cut your meat into small pieces. If it is too thick you aren't going to be able to keep it moist and a good texture. Steakhouses choose the thickest cuts of meat for rare orders.

When purchasing meat, if the cut is typically a lower quality meat that tends to be dried out after cooking, find recipes or methods of cooking that introduce liquids. I like my slow cooker for meats that tend to be dry because the stock I use helps keep moisture in it.

Tonight, I am going to try a burger that has a bit of seasoning and should taste great!

Here are my ingredients for the seasoning,

Mix together:
1 lb. fresh ground steak
1 tbs. Italian Seasoning
1-2 tsp. fresh ground Black Pepper
several grinds of Sea Salt
2 tbs chopped fresh Parsley

For the rest of the burger:
toast the hamburger bun on the grill briefly
Cheddar Cheese
1 minced garlic clove (about 1/2 tbs. if measuring pre-minced) mixed with mayonase
sliced fresh tomatoes from the garden
a few cut pieces of romaine lettuce
a few slivers of red onion




2 comments:

  1. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.



    Gourmet Secrets in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew! Your recipe for a Healthy Pie Smoothies looks delicious!!! I am going to try it before summer is completely over.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...