Thursday, July 12, 2012

What is a Stepford Sister?

So in my last post I talked about what it meant to be a Stepford Wife according to the book and movies, this time I am going to talk about what it means to be a Stepford Sister...no I am not saying my sister is a Stepford Wife, she is far too young to be getting married and has a fascination with incredibly un-Stepford like things such as bugs and other creepy crawlies. Nor am I saying that the three of us in this blog are perfect Stepford Wives whose bonds of friendship have grown to sisterhood...or at least not exactly.

What I am saying is that a Stepford Sister is like a less extreme (in some ways) version of the Stepford Wife. Sort of like a watered down version. We don't bow down to our husbands' every whims, but we do see him as the head of our households.



For me, being a Stepford Sister is like trying to achieve that stereotypically perfect family unit in the fifties. I want to be the hostess with the mostest and run a perfectly organized, spotless house. I want to make every meal from scratch (ok that isn't really the fifties, but the next part is) and serve it wearing a frilly apron. I want to always look my best and make charming, witty conversation.

Unfortunately, all that is terribly difficult to do. I have a job and a husband and a step child, and not everything fits into my perfect plan all the time...there are even times when I don't have enough time to plan, perfectly or otherwise....but every day I work at it. The more I work on becoming the next Donna Reed, the more I realize just how much work it is to be a woman. In fact it is too much to do alone. That is why it is Stepford Sister, we are never alone, we have our sisters! That is what this blog is all about; sisters coming together to discuss how to be the best for ourselves and our families, and supporting eachother whether or not we always succeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...