Saturday, August 4, 2012

London Olympics 2012


The first summer Olympic games I can personally remember watching were the Atlanta, Georgia Olympics. I remember thinking about how neat it was to be so close (considering the entire world) to action that involved the entire world. Fast forward to 2012, and I still get giddy watching the US athletes compete.

Funny enough, it doesn't matter to me if I have ever even heard their name...they represent our nation so I am cheering them on all the way. I have never lived outside of the US, and my family is from many nations so there isn't a real reason why I have a second and third nation I hope for after the US. I have always cheered on Canada then Great Britain to win if there were no representatives from the US.

My favorite sport to watch is the women's beach volleyball with Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh-Jennings. The pure athleticism involved blows me away. They are in such tip-top shape-they are my idea of perfect.Their record in the games doesn't hurt either!


Another favorite for everyone in my family are the swim events. I think it is really neat for Michael Phelps to set a new Olympic record as the most decorated Olympian ever. This will be a moment that my step-children are old enough to remember that is something that will be memorable for many years to come. One thing that is must hilarious while watching swimming is to those of us who have no athletic talent, we are able to watch the swimmer bringing up the rear and actually have the stones to comment on how slow they were. I wonder if you threw the top high school swimmer of one state in the US in that pool how they would compete next to the Olympians!

My new favorite Olympian is the women's swimmer Missy Franklin. All of the training and traveling that must be required year round for this level of competitive swimming must be quite high-and with it, high cost to her and her family. She has remained so loyal to the town she lives in that she has refused all monetary sponsorships and endorsements so that she can maintain her eligibility to be a part of her school team. This is so self-less and shows what great character she has. I hope she continues this test of personal will-power as she gets ready to go to college. She will be a college swim team's dream!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...