Chances are if you bake you have a stack of recipes which use only the whites of eggs. Here are some ideas to use or store those extra yolks...
How to Freeze Egg Yolks
Place one egg yolk in each ice cube cavity of a clean ice cube tray. Add a pinch of salt to each yolk (if you plan to eventually use them in savory recipes) or a pinch of sugar (if you will use them in sweet recipes). Freeze overnight until solid, then transfer to an airtight freezer bag.
To use, thaw in refrigerator and then mix well. They will keep in the freezer for up to three months.
Leftover egg yolks can also be refrigerated for 3-4 days.
Recipe for one egg yolk
LAMB FRICASSÉEServes 2
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. light cooking oil
1 lb. lamb cubes (cut about 1½” square)
1 tsp. dried marjoram or oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1 clove garlic, minced
¾ c. water
1 large egg yolk
Juice from ½ large lemon
1 Tbsp. water
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat oil in large heavy saucepan and soften onion – but do not let it darken.
2. Raise heat to high and brown the lamb cubes on all sides.
3. Add the herbs and garlic as the lamb is nearly cooked.
4. Add the ¾ cup water; cover and bring to the boil; reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, covered.
5. Remove the meat to a warm serving platter. Skim off the fat and taste the gravy for salt.
6. Lightly beat the egg yolk with the lemon juice and another 1 tablespoon water; add to the gravy, whisking over low heat until it thickens.
7. Pour sauce over the lamb, garnished with chopped parsley.
Recipe for two egg yolks
Fettucine AlfredoServes 2
4 tablespoons of butter
1.5 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 pound of homemade fettuccine
2 egg yolks
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a large sauté pan add butter and cream, turn the heat on to medium and cook until cream and butter are melted together, around 1 minute. Turn off heat.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt and the fettuccine. Cook for 1 minute.
3. Strain pasta and add to pan with butter and cream. Turn the heat on medium.
4. Add the egg yolks, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and black pepper.
5. Stir vigorously, mixing the egg yolks and cheese in and coating all of the pasta with the sauce.
6. Serve immediately from the pan, sprinkling additional Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on top.
Recipe for three egg yolks
(From inthekitchenwithkath.com)Serves 4-6
2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
¼ cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 egg yolks
1. Put the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Stir in about 2 teaspoons of salt.
2. Bring to a boil. Cover; reduce hit to a simmer and cook until tender, 20 minutes or so. (Exact time will depend on the size of your potato chunks.)
3. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and set aside. (It’s to brush on the potatoes before baking.)
4. When the potatoes are done, drain them and then put them back in the pot over the heat for just a minute or two to evaporate any extra moisture.
5. Remove from heat. If you have a potato ricer, use it to rice the potatoes. It’s the easiest way to get smooth mashed potatoes. If you don’t have a ricer, mash them using whatever method you prefer, adding the cream, 2 tablespoons butter, nutmeg, pepper and egg yolks as you mash. Just don’t over-mash them or they’ll become gummy.
6. If you have riced the potatoes, stir in the cream, the other 2 tablespoons of butter, nutmeg, pepper and egg yolks.
7. If you have one, use a pastry bag with a large star point to pipe the potatoes on a baking sheet. Otherwise, make rounded potato mounds on the baking sheet.
8. Using a fork, make ridges on the potato mounds.
9. Brush the potatoes with the reserved melted butter.
At this point, you can refrigerate the baking sheet and bake the potatoes later if you want.
10. Bake the potatoes in a preheated 425˚ oven for about 20 minutes.
Recipe for four egg yolks
Baked Custard RecipeServes 4
1 cup evaporated milk, undiluted
1 cup water
4 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
fresh nutmeg or ground nutmeg
1. In a medium saucepan, combine milk and water; heat to scalding.
2. Beat egg yolks slightly; add sugar, salt and vanilla. Gradually add hot milk to eggs, stirring constantly.
3. Divide into 4 custard cups and set in a pan of hot water. Bake at 325° for 50 minutes, or until tip of knife comes out clean when inserted in custard.
4. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg or grate fresh nutmeg over top of each custard. Serve warm or cold.
Recipe for five egg yolks
Soft Egg RavioliMakes 4 servings
Note: Truffles add luxurious appeal, but the ravioli are fantastic without them.