This stuff is antiseptic, anti-fungal, and lightly exfoliating. It will take the stains off your coffee mug and your not-so-pearly whites, and can be consumed internally to ease your tummy ache. And fridge odors aren’t the only smells it absorbs so don’t turn your nose up, and bring on the baking soda!
10 Uses for Baking Soda
1. Brush your teeth with it!
2. Soothe Your Stomach with it!
Stomach acid, heartburn, gas, and other tummy issues are quickly relieved by baking soda because its slight alkalinity can neutralize the acid causing the problem. Just mix a teaspoon into a glass of warm water and drink it down.
3. Repel bugs with it!
- Put it under sinks and along basement windows to repel cockroaches and ants.
- You can also use it to make a paste to relieve painful bee stings, skin itch from insect bites, poison ivy irritations, and pain from sunburn.
- Turn baking soda into modeling clay by combining it with one and 1/4 cups of water and one cup of cornstarch.
- Use clay molded around a bottle and make a volcano with it!
5. Use it to cook with!
- Use it as a substitute for baking powder by mixing with it with cream of tartar or vinegar.
- Soak dried beans to a baking soda solution to make them more digestible.
- Make a sports drink by mixing it with boiled water, salt, and Kool-Aid.
Combine one tablespoon of raw organic honey with one teaspoon of baking soda in your palm, then rub together and then massage gently in circular motions on your face. Let it sit for a minute (or don’t) then rinse thoroughly with warm or even cold water.
- Sweeten your tomatoes by sprinkling baking soda on the soil around your tomato plants.
- Scatter baking soda around flowerbeds to prevent rabbits from eating your veggies.
- Sprinkle it onto your cat’s litter box to absorb the bad odor.
- Sprinkle it on your pet’s comb or brush to deodorize their fur and skin.
Put two tablespoons in your baby’s bathwater to help relieve diaper rash.
10. Clean with it!
- Restore stiff brushes by boiling them in a solution of 1/2 gallon of water, 1/4 cup of vinegar, and a cup of baking soda.
- Add a cup to the toilet, leave it for an hour, and then flush. It will clean the toilet and absorb the odor.
- Add a spoonful to your dishwasher to make scrubbing dishes easier.
- Dry clean carpets and upholstered furniture by sprinkling baking soda over the fabric and gently brushing it. Leave it for an hour or overnight, then vacuum.
- Sprinkle it on barbecue grills, then rinse it off.
- Keep your drains clean by putting four tablespoons of baking soda in them each week. Flush it down with hot water.
- Keep some in your fridge/ freezer to control odors.
Another tip is to keep some in your car! It can put out and prevent the spread of a small fire (even an an engine fire), you can wipe your windshield with it to repel rain, and it is great odor control. You can also mix a little baking soda with water, then apply the mixture to a corroded auto battery terminal - the corrosion will be dissolved and can then be washed away.
What do you use baking soda for?