Below are recipes for body lotion bars, lemon coconut lip balm, and a scalp conditioning treatment.
Oral health is one use of coconut oil as shared previously in Stepford Sisters Oil Pulling
All you need is about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (it will melt within a minute in your mouth) and 10-20 minutes to swish it. You can add a drop of peppermint oil if you prefer that flavor to cover over the coconut.
Body Lotion Bars (great recipe from healthimpactnews.com)
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Shea Butter or Cocoa Butter
- 2/3 cup Beeswax Pastilles or grated beeswax
- Optional: 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- Optional: Essential Oils for scent
How to Make:
When I first started making this recipe I used a double boiler and blender before I realized that there was a much easier way that didn’t require excessive dishes. Here’s the easy way (my blender thanks you!):
- Combine ingredients in a quart size or larger glass mason jar or reused glass jar. Fill a medium size saucepan with a couple inches of water and place on a burner over medium high heat. I recommend putting a lid on the jar to prevent water from getting in as this ruins the lotion bars.
- Bring the water to a simmer and stir or shake the contents of the jar until completely melted. This should take about ten minutes. Quickly pour into whatever molds you are using. I highly recommend silicon muffin cups or molds if you have them because they are so easy to clean. Regular muffin tins or even small glass jars also work. You can even use small jelly-size glass jars if you want to keep the lotion bar in the jar for travel or to give as a gift. This recipe will make approximately 6 lotion bars if using muffin cups or small jars.
- Leave in molds for at least 4 hours or overnight (preferable) and carefully pop out of molds.
Lotion bars are designed for use on dry skin in place of lotion. Apply the same way that you would use soap in the shower but on dry skin with no need to wash off. The heat of your skin will transfer a very thin layer of moisturizing lotion to the skin, which will absorb in 3-5 minutes.
Lemon Coconut Lip Balm (from mountainroseherbs.com):
This recipe will fill 8-9 lip balm tubes!
2 Tablespoons Sunflower Oil
1 Tablespoon & 1 teaspoon Beeswax
10 drops Lemon essential oil
- Coarsely chop or grated your beeswax (vegans may use Carnauba Wax as an alternative), and place it in a small pot or glass pyrex measuring cup with your butters and carrier oils in the top of a double boiler, and melt gently over heated water. Make sure that the water does not boil over into your oil mixture, 1 -2” of water in the bottom of your pot is enough.
- Once that your beeswax mixture has melted, remove from burner, and add your essential oils. The essential oils will begin to dissipate with the scent, add more as needed.
- Immediately pour the hot mixture into lip balm containers. If the mixture cools too rapidly while you are pouring, then heat the mixture back up over the double boiler.
- Allow to cool completely (I usually wait overnight) before placing the caps onto your lip balm containers.
Scalp Conditioning Treatment (from themotherhuddle.com)
Ingredients: Take about 4 tablespoons softened coconut oil, mix with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon grapefruit juice.
- You’ll start on dry hair, and it really makes no difference if it is clean or not. Starting on top, place the brush on the scalp, rotate it across the scalp while pressing down and pull off in the end. Repeat across the scalp, parting hair where necessary. This will stimulate the blood circulation and loosen any dry skin scales. This should feel good, don’t press so hard that it hurts.
- Next part the hair down the center and apply the oil mixture to the scalp with the application brush or cotton ball. Work in one inch sections down the sides of the head, then the back making sure the mixture covers the entire scalp.
- Now give your scalp (or your friends) a good massage. Rub with your fingertips in a circular motion all over the scalp. Leave the treatment on for about 20 minutes.
- Finish it off with a good shampoo and conditioner.
There are so many other great recipes and concoctions to make with coconut oil. Be creative and enjoy the wonderful benefits it provides!