Wednesday, October 3, 2012

How To: Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

It's October, pumpkins and pumpkin flavored items are everywhere. I purchased my first pumpkin of the season in the end of September and cut it up right away to feed my tortoises. I had no intention of cooking and keeping the seeds because typically it is a lot of work for a very small return.

While at a large chain store, I purchased a bag of ready-to-eat pumpkin seeds, only $1.50 and I did no work in order to enjoy them. Unfortunately, they were very very salty, so much so that I disliked them after just a few. So, against my plans for time management I decided to go ahead and utilize the seeds since I had already purchased them and separated them from the pumpkin.

My first bit of advice on the seeds: after you have separated them from the main portion of the pumpkin, try pulling them away from the pulp in a bowl of water. The water helps the seeds separate from the stringy insides and it is easier to make sure you don't throw away seeds that were stuck inside the pulp.


My second bit of advice: rather than using salt for flavor try using Mrs. Dash or another salt-free seasoning, and you can use butter or vegetable oil to coat the seeds and get the seasoning to stick.


As for actually roasting the seeds, here is some advice from pumpkinpatchesand more.com:

Heat them in a 275-degree oven for 10 to 20 minutes until golden brown. DO KEEP AN EYE ON THEM, checking every few minutes and stir about every 5 minutes. Some ovens run hot and it can be as little as 10 minutes or as long as 30 minutes to roast them. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot or cold.

For milder flavor, simmer the cleaned seeds for about an hour in salted water and fry in deep oil. Or mix a tablespoon of oil or margarine to each cup of nuts and roast them at 250 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes until they're golden. Sprinkle them with salt. 


1 comment:

  1. Last year my husband put salt AND pepper on the seeds. I was not a fan. Sometimes my mom uses sugar and cinnamon for a sweet twist. If you brush the seeds with melted butter it sticks better.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...