Tuesday, November 6, 2012

National Writing Month Challenge

Participant 120x90 (2)The month of November has been deemed National Writing month, and Jairica and I have agreed to the challenge of joining the NaNoWriMo community (National Writing Month) in completing a 50,000+ word novel in 30 days. We are NANOWRIMO 2012 Participants! I stumbled upon the idea on the first day of November, so I had no time ahead of November to plan what I would want to write about or anything. I jumped in head first with no time to debate whether I could actually complete this task!

We have never counted the words we write in our blog or even thought about how much information we write with the intention of sharing it with an audience. But, in having written an entry in our blog every single day since we started in May 2012, I decided that I should offer up the idea and try and create something I could be proud of and know I accomplished.

50,000 words. I didn't think that sounded like much, until I actually started writing and counted the words. Using Microsoft Word with the font and size I picked is going to mean about 300 pages. That is a bit of pressure!!

I love books such as the series of Twilight, Harry Potter, and The Hunger Games, but I just don't have the creative juices to create such a novel. I decided to stick to something I could better control-real life, my life.

In a nutshell, my novel is going to be about my journey to my 30's, and will be an effort and figuring out why I feel my 30's will hold something so fantastic that my 20's can't provide. It's current title is, The Title that Wrote Itself, because life just sometimes writes its own path and it something we can't always plan ahead. My book is a journey in and of itself because I have no idea where it is going to conclude and what I will have discovered about myself.

Will my novel be available for reading upon its completion?! At this point, I have no idea. I am certain I will dive into deep personal feelings and thoughts in order to truthfully write so we will just have to wait and see.

Even if this book ends up being only for me, I will have found a self-satisfaction in writing that much and sticking to a goal (even when it is during the same time frame as my graduate school capstone course!). Oh, you might wonder what happens when you achieve 50,000+ words? You get your name published on the website along with the other 100,000+ people who also achieve the goal. There are no awards, no winners, just simply your name for you to find and the satisfaction of knowing you did it :-)

Always believe in yourself, because your confidence matters and can motivate you to reach your goals. However, if someone else doesn't believe in you, sometimes your anger at their doubt can be motivation too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...