Friday, November 23, 2012

Pinterest Debunked

I have recently become addicted to Pinterest. I held out as long as I could. Everyone kept telling me to join "You'll love it" they said, and I knew they were right. I knew I would waste countless hours looking at all the cool recipes, science experiments, cleaning tips, and DIY crafts, so I tried to resist. I need those hours for cleaning and cooking and actually doing the crafts I want to do. Unfortunately, I kept seeing things other people were pinning on Facebook and more often than not I was intrigued. I would save the link or picture in a file on my computer to do later. Finally, I realized it would be much simpler if I just joined and saved these things to my own board on Pinterest. Three days later I had hundreds of pins and a pile of unwashed laundry the size of Mt. Everest.

Shannon was curious about what I was spending all my time looking at so I showed him my boards, sure that he would find these things as fascinating as I did. For the most part I was right, he was suprised at how many cool ideas I had gathered...but then we got to this picture:




The idea is that you inject lemons with food coloring and they change color.


"That is not possible." My husband informed me. "There is just no way." Looking at how bright and vibrant the lemon colors were I began to doubt it myself, so we looked it up, and that was the beginning of a whole new Pintereset activity: Pinterest Mythbusters.

I would like to share with you the list we compiled in just one evening of what we found on Pinterest to be fakes and frauds and misrepresentations.

Lemons injected with food coloring - click here for myth debunked








Glow stick bubbles - click here for myth debunked














Foot callus remover made up of shaving cream and Listerine - click here for myth debunked









Melt your liquor bottles flat in a toaster oven - click here for an actual how to which is much harder than popping it into a toaster oven and can absolutely not be done with the label on.


















Helium equivalent balloons with baking soda and vinegar - You can fill balloons with baking soda and vinegar, but they are not helium equivalent. Baking soda and vinegar produce carbon dioxide just like when you exhale. The balloons will not float like they were filled with helium. Click here for a real alternative to helium for filling your balloons.


















Do you know of any Pinterest myths? Share them in a comment here or on our facebook page!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...