Sunday, December 2, 2012

Things to do in December in Ohio

Get your picture taken at the Hanby House in Westerville Ohio


 
The Hanby House, located at 160 W. Main St. in Westerville, Ohio, was the home of Benjamin Russel Hanby, composer of "Up on the House Top" a popular Christmas jingle. My Grandparents took me on a tour there one year and I have always meant to go back. While I was looking up directions I found this nifty ad on Westerville's city homepage.

"Start a new holiday tradition by having your photo taken in the parlor of the Hanby House by the Christmas tree.  As a bonus, you can choose from available costuming to wear in the photo!  Up to four poses will be emailed to you and you can print whatever poses and photo sizes you like.  Fun for families, classmates, friends.  Sitting fee is $25.  Appointments suggested, but walk-ins accepted.  Contact hanbyhouse@yahoo.com. "


See the Columbus Zoo Wildlights




This is a family tradition of mine. I have gone to the zoo lights almost every year since I was five. The first memory my stepdad has of me was when we met at the zoo lights and I was crouched behind my mother laughing manically holding a snowball. After pelting him I ran away as quickly as my nine year old legs would carry me shouting "throw one at me and you shall perish!!" Obviously, we hit it off great!

Go to a show of the Living Christmas Tree




This is a show held in different churches around Ohio (and other states) where a huge choir sings from risers shaped in a Christmas tree. It is actually pretty impressive. 

Visit the A Christmas Story House




The actual house is located in Cleveland and is open year round for tours. Directly across the street from the house is the official A Christmas Story House Museum, which features original props, costumes and memorabilia from the film, as well as hundreds of rare behind-the-scenes photos. Among the props and costumes are the toys from the Higbee’s window, Randy’s snowsuit, the chalkboard from Miss Shields’ classroom and the family car. You can even buy your own leg lamp in the gift shop! They also have an auction where you can bid to win a 2 day 2 night stay in the house with your family.

Go shopping at Tis the Season




Tis the Season, located in Amish Country in Ohio is the state's largest Christmas Shoppe. They have a lot of neat stuff and there are many other nearby attractions in Amish country. I always appreciate a Christmas gift basket of Amish cheeses myself. 

There are lots of other local activities, like parades, holiday homes tours, and sleigh rides.  It is always a good idea to check out your town webpage and see what they have planned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...