Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Homemade Dinner from Around the World #4-Indian

Indian food is also a type of food I didn't try until my mid 20's out of fear of what it would be made from or taste like. I still have a fairly limited experience with many of the dishes prepared in Indian cuisine, but I certainly love the spices and flavor combinations used. I adapt these flavors with meats and vegetables I am more familiar with.

Dishes in tonight's meal:
Chicken Tikka Masala
Basmati Rice
Naan

Chicken Tikka Masala
 from Allrecipes.com
4 servings
    Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
  1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and 4 teaspoons salt. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  2. Preheat a grill for high heat.
  3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side.
  4. Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika, and 3 teaspoons salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro.

Basmati Rice
Using my rice cooker, I simply cook the rice per the instructions for the amount I need to make.
I will sometimes add a few dashes of cinnamon and Garam Masala seasoning. It is found with other spices such as garlic, oregano, and cinnamon. Smaller stores might not carry it, but many full grocery stores will have this Indian blend of spices, along with curry powder. You could also try adding similar spices that you use to make the Chicken.

Naan
I never make my own naan, I find it pre-made at the bakery in the grocery store or frozen at Trader Joe's. I love this bread along with the sauce that is made in the Chicken above. Once all of your dishes are nearly ready I like throw the Na'an in the oven directly on the rack for a few minutes to get it warm and slightly toasted. You might opt to put a light coating of olive oil with garlic salt on it for this part. Yum, garlic!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...