Saturday, January 26, 2013

Valentine's Wreath and Coordinating Vase Centerpiece

Valentine's Day is less than a month away, and some people like to get out their decorations and cheer up their homes with some pink, red, and purple colored items to get away from the white, blue, and silver of winter colors.

I made a wreath just after Christmas that turned out wonderfully, so I decided to become more adventurous and try one for February!

If you can be resourceful, you might be able to still find some red items from Christmas to incorporate into your red, pink, purple, and or white wreath (some people can manage to get blue in there too!).

It took me a while to figure out what I wanted the base of my wreath to be-greenery, foil, felt, ribbon, yarn, etc. The easiest way for me to determine how to proceed was to take stock of the items I was sure I wanted to use on the wreath.


I had red and silver mini ornaments, purple and blue "Christmas" bells, and 3-d blue "Christmas" glitter hearts, as well as a pink "Christmas" fabric mesh garland. I decided to take a gamble with the mesh garland and bought a metal floral wreath form.


I left the mesh garland folded into a large square and gathered around the entire wreath form. I used a piece of matching pink ribbon to secure the mesh as tightly as I could manage. I took a photo from behind so you can see how I did it.

Once I got the mesh secured, I wanted to go ahead and plan out where my main focus decorations would go next. I decided that out of the eight blue hearts I had, using just four looked the best. I used Christmas ornament hooks to hold all the pieces of my wreath together. When possible, I used the wire frame as extra support in attaching pieces.

The next most important element of the wreath were the 6 bells I had, followed by the silver and red ornaments. I had plenty of silver and red ball ornaments, so I continued attaching them until I felt that adding more would make it look less attractive.


 This post will now feature a bonus Valentine's decor piece: I found this great vase/tea light candle stand at my local antique shop tonight for $13. I didn't know exactly what I would do with it, but knew I had to have it. I was so excited that I thought of an idea within 40 minutes of buying it. As I finished the Valentine's wreath, I had extra materials. I filled the "flower" vase up with the red and silver ornaments used on the wreath-plus some bright pink glitter ones I chose not to use on the wreath since the mesh was already bright pink. I then used some wooden skewers and put the blue hearts on the end of them. I was able to group the hearts by twos since the shape of them allowed me to easily intertwine them.


I also had some very thin hot pink wire garland that I made rings out of for each candle holder.


 Now, I have two coordinating homemade Valentine's Day decorations!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...