Friday, May 3, 2013

HCG Injections and Diet

I'm guilty: I'm extremely overweight and I need to lose weight.(P.S. The following photo is not me...)


I have always carried a few extra pounds, but after I left home and went to college I packed on the pounds in a seemingly short amount of time.

I have wanted to loose weight off and on, but saw how slow my progress was and gave up. It would seem that I could eat healthy foods and avoid those I loved for weeks and only lose 5 to 8 pounds, but then I could go right back to the junk food and not gain more than the 5 to 8 pounds lost.

I'm not good with dieting, and I assume that most people aren't either. I know that part of my problem is simply the habit portion that leads me to eat snacks on the couch while watching t.v. in the evening after dinner and before bed. These are mindless calories (although the most enjoyable that I consume throughout the day).

I have given the idea of mindless calories thought many times as I am ready to eat that late snack and I end up eating NOT because I feel hungry but simply because I want to.


If I could distract myself away from the couch and t.v., I would probably not even think about eating. But the reality is that I am ready to wind down after my day and I don't see myself finding a different end-of-day routine. *Note: I hope that AFTER I loose a significant amount of weight and eat better I will have more energy and being active will be easier. So that will allow me to do less t.v. in the evening (and summer is almost here and I go outside all the time).

So what is it about HCG that led me to decide to try the diet? Well the answer is several things.



There are a few things to know about HCG first. There are three main methods that people take the drug: Over the counter supplements, hcg oral medication, and hcg injections.

I looked very briefly into the over the counter supplements but all the information I got doing research said that those are basically worthless.


 The oral medication holds much more credibility than the supplements and is used by some doctors and doctor's assistance who see patients.



But the most credible evidence of the hcg working is when administered daily by injections.

What is so important about the HCG you might be wondering? Well, the diet itself puts the patient on a severely restricted calorie diet. Now if you have ever researched diets you know that this is very unhealthy and will actually make it harder for your body to lose weight because it goes into starvation mode and starts storing everything you eat because it thinks it will need the calories to survive.

The HCG actually helps your body to burn the calories you already have stored as fat within your body. Any time you lose weight your body will sometimes burn calories from muscle, but the hcg helps make the majority of your calories come from fat.

So, the biggest difference is that you aren't truly starving your body by eating anywhere from 500-1000 calories daily, but you are allowing your body to process the calories you already stored up to function daily.

The way I look at it: I WAY over-ate over the last 10 years, (I was just eating in advance) and now it is time to put those calories to work.



Here is a big perk I see from this diet: It helps you lose around one pound a day when you follow the diet exactly. That sounds like a lot, and it is, but remember you are losing the weight because of fat stores you already have not from depleting your muscle. But, who wouldn't be motivated by losing a pound a day? It can be hard to stick to a really restrictive diet and not see huge losses but yet you are not eating foods that are your favorite. By seeing such high rates of weight loss I think most people can get over not eating junk food knowing that they are losing the weight they had.

Another perk with such a small intake of calories is that if you are used to eating very large meals, you will have retrained your stomach and your mind to eat smaller portions and more frequently throughout the day. There is a trick to what you do after you have lost the weight, but I'm not at that stage in my journey yet.

I have been suggested by several doctors in the past to make an appointment with a dietician. I think that after I have lost the weight I want and am down to my goal weight, meeting with a dietician will be a much easier transition to work with.

I look forward to making my body healthier so that my kidneys, liver, and pancreas don't have to work as hard, my joints and bones won't have as much weight to carry and the impact will be lessened, and that I will be able to go shopping for clothing much easier and I will feel happier about myself.

My biggest goal that I am getting closer to not meeting is being ABLE to run a half marathon by the time I am thirty. I am 27 now, and I can't even run for a 1/4 of a mile. But, I have high hopes that with some weight loss I will be able to get my body into shape easier.



My goal is to lose 35 pounds before I even attempt to have my body run. I will stick to walking for now!

Remember, doing any diet plan is an individual and personal decision. You should always consult your health care professional because what is best for one person might not be best for you.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome decision!! You will succeed!! Go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It has been a difficult several weeks, but certainly a great jump-start to better long term decissions!
    -Stephanie Stepford

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is a very old post, but the idea of going low calorie resulting in problems is not always true. In fact, it may be very helpful if not absolutely necessary for results. For example, look up studies on the impact PCOS can have on one's BMR. There can be a significant difference between the BMR (calorie requirements) of the average individual, vs. someone with PCOS (particularly if they also have IR). Personally, I had heard the same things you have about "starvation mode" and as a result was worried about going lower than the calorie amount recommended for the general population, however after reading more on the topic, it seemed not only were those concerns out of place (the term actually refers not to literally starving, but to changing metabolism which is common through weight loss), it was actually preventing me from reducing calories to the amount I needed to in order to get results. I'm down over 40lbs now using only calorie reduction (exercise level similar to before).

    I do refrain from stating the calorie/day number that works for me because it is lower than what might be ok for many people (however it's also exactly what is needed for some others), but if those factors (PCOS/IR) apply to you or anyone reading this, it is really REALLY worth looking up the info. The studies that I've seen do include the calorie ranges if you're wanting to know; they do vary depending on some factors, but the studies will go into it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...