Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Dandelions

Summer is here and dandelions are everywhere, but did you know that dandelions are not just for making wishes and rubbing pollen on your friends? There are actually quite a few useful things you can do with them!


My favorite idea for using dandelions comes from Let them Eat Healthy, a great blog with all kinds of cool recipes and tips.

Vanilla, Lavender, and Wild Dandelion Syrup

It looks and sounds just delicious so be sure to head on over there and check it out!!
Our Homestead on the Hillside posted this tip to their facebook page and I am very grateful. I tried fried dandelions once and was not a fan, but now I know why, the flowers were too bitter! Next time I will use buds and might have to try some leaves in a salad! Because...


According to Earth Friendly Goodies, Dandelion has quite a few health benefits!

"Just one cup of dandelion greens contains 2.1 g of protein, 112% of the daily recommendation of vitamin A, 32% vitamin C, and a whopping 535% vitamin K. A cup of dandelion leaves also contain 218 mg of potassium, 103 mg of calcium, and 1.7 mg of iron."

They also have a great recipe for Dandelion Coffee.


 What do you do with dandelions? Share your ideas here and on our facebook page!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice post - I especially was interested to hear that the dandelion buds were sweet. I had tried dandelion fritters too and it was a bit too bitter - I'll have to try just the buds next time. Thanks for including my post as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem and thank you :) Let me know if you like the buds better...I haven't tried them yet.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...