Monday, June 24, 2013

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

I just love cooking from as close to completely homemade as possible. This is an extension of a previous post I did last summer about canning your own homemade spaghetti sauce. My exception today is boxed tomato sauce and jarred minced garlic (because I hate my fingers to smell like garlic after using fresh that I had to peel!). I ended up, out of the pictured ingredients, using half of each red and green bell pepper, a heaping teaspoon of garlic, half of the onion, 6 Roma tomatoes, about 6 fresh basil leaves, and about a teaspoon of freshly minced flat parsley. A heaping teaspoon of oregano, a heaping teaspoon of Italian seasoning, and a small (very small) dash of red Cayenne pepper.

 

I put the onion and garlic in the pan first while I started cutting my peppers. I sauteed with a tablespoon of MCT coconut oil (liquid vs. the harder white coconut oil). I estimate the stove temperature was at medium to medium high (closer to medium though).


After cutting the peppers I sauteed all the peppers, onions, and garlic in the pan until they were slightly less crunchy. I didn't want to over cook them because I like a bit of texture to the finished sauce.



While all of that was sauteing, I cut up all of my tomatoes and fresh herbs.


After I sauteed the peppers, onion, and garlic, I added the freshly cut tomatoes. I added almost the entire container of Hunt's tomato sauce until it was as thick as this second picture.


I mixed in all the final ingredients of fresh parsley and basil, put a lid on the top and turned it down to 4. After it was at a light bubble for 40 minutes I turned it down to 2 for another 2 hours. As it cooks your tomato pieces are going to be less chunky, but your onion and peppers will maintain their shape.



I am going to enjoy this wonderful sauce later with some meatballs and angel hair spaghetti. It is also great served over steamed brocolli. It certainly makes vegetables more appealing to the kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...