Monday, June 17, 2013

Microwave and Canned Tomatos-Bad for your Health

There are two things that have in the last year become important for me to greatly limit or avoid whenever possible: the microwave and tomato based products from cans.


In our society it is not realistic to think you are going to completely avoid all of these things 100% of the time. Although it is possible, you might offend people inviting you to their home to eat or make your local restaurant not happy to see you!

The first hazard to your health is using the microwave too frequently. There are been studies to show that eating microwaved food does change things on a cellular level. People eating microwaved food versus others who didn't had tens of thousands more white blood cells in their body when blood work was done for a comparison.



When discussing this health information with Jairica, she shared with me an experiment that somehow confirmed that there were damaging effects from microwaved things.


The experiment link below is showing how water that was microwaved was killing plants versus the same water not microwaved. *Note, they were NOT giving the plants HOT water, but cooled it down to room temperature!

Microwaved Water Kills Plants in Days

So, the other side of health on my mind today is canned tomato based products including but not limited to: diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, canned pasta, and chili.

All of these things have acid from the tomatoes that over time after being canned reacts with the chemicals in the metal and eventually leaches unnatural chemicals into your food. Today I made a very exciting discovery when purchasing items for my homemade tomato sauce: Hunts now sells tomato sauce in an aseptic container which is not metal!


Now, most people are going to be most excited that you can reseal the package and use it again another time. Great feature...but not the reason I am so excited about it! This was one ingredient I use with otherwise fresh ingredients that I would buy pre-made. I can make my own tomato juice...but sauce and paste are much more difficult and I just don't have the time to try!

I have to hand it to the foodies over at ConAgra foods who make Hunt's products...I will most certainly not be purchasing competitors products because I am so happy with this packaging. Now if only we could sell diced tomatoes in glass or <gulp> even plastic containers (BPA free of course).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...