Friday, June 14, 2013

Planting an Herb garden in your Yard

I only wanted to take up a small space for my herbs, so I selected my four favorite and most used herbs. On the top from left to right I have cilantro and flat leaf Italian parsley. On the bottom from left to right I have sweet basil and sweet mint.

I don't intend to give a full tutorial on how to best grow herbs or how to prune and harvest them. The more difficult part for me is finding a place to have them. They don't take up much space, but they would not survive inside my house with three cats. Plus, my kitchen windows are toward my back yard that is shaded.

So, I decided to take a risk and plant them outside within my landscaping in a place I would be sure to look at them frequently. Herbs can get dried up rather quickly especially in the summer, so I need to look at them frequently to make sure I don't forget to water them!

I took this photo from my front door to show just how visible I made them to myself (they are in boxes first thing on the left after the edge of the porch):

As I was picking a spot, I thought this would be a welcoming site to my guests. The spot is on a mound, so I scooped out a level flat spot into the mound for each box. I did the bottom one first, then made the second flat spot for the first box. I also picked this spot because there is a bush to the left that will help during the summer give it some shade, a great relief from the sun during hot hours.

I only wanted to take up this much space for my herbs, so I selected my four favorite and most used herbs. On the top from left to right I have cilantro and flat leaf Italian parsley. On the bottom from left to right I have sweet basil and sweet mint.

This was my second attempt at sweet mint-the first time it was actually a cat nip plant and the neighborhood lose cats found it within half an hour of me planting it. I was glad to discover the mistake quickly before they got curious about the other herbs. I have had them successfully outside unguarded for a little over a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...