Friday, July 5, 2013

Quick Homemade Dessert or Pastry in a Crunch

I am one for bringing a homemade product when going to a party or get-together. I recently found myself getting off work at 10 p.m. and needing to return to work the next morning at 9 a.m. but wanted to bring a little something special for everyone since we were working through the weekend. My solution-I suppose it is considered to be semi-homemade-Cinnamon Roll Apple Pie Pastry.

My inspiration was this photo a friend posted on Facebook (or Pinterest, who can keep them all straight?!) I decided there was no way I was going to be able to cut them thin enough to keep their shape without totally destroying them!


What you need: 

This was so delicious and quite easy to make. For a 16x20 jelly roll pan I used about 2 cans of pre-made cinnamon rolls (store brand not the jumbo sized Pillsbury ones) 6 apples, a cup of sugar, some vanilla and almond extract, and nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice.

I started out by unrolling my cinnamon rolls and pressing them flatter into the greased jelly roll pan (you should hold back 2-4 raw cinnamon roll pieces for the top later).

 

I put them in the oven to cook for about 15-20 minutes. As these were cooking I was cutting and peeling my apples.

I used my apple slice to cut my apples down, then cut each slice into 4-5 smaller bite-sized pieces. I basically used the recipe for the filling in apple pie for the apple portion of this dessert. Mix the peeled apples and spices together in a bowl before adding to the cooked cinnamon roll crust.

After you spread out your apple filling, you can make a cross-hatched cinnamon roll top to the pastry. This dessert was such a hit that I actually had to find a close photo of the "finished" product because it was cut into before I could take a picture! You can drizzle icing from the cinnamon roll package over the top of your pastry.



If you would want to make pie instead of a breakfast pastry just make the same dessert in a pie pan rather than a jelly roll pan!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...