Sunday, July 14, 2013

Quick Tip: Salt Shaker Fix For Clumping


We keep our salt shaker on the stove for easy access. Shannon uses more salt than I think is wise, but has always had great blood pressure so I don't give him grief about it anymore. I put as much salt as a normal person would enjoy (okay maybe a little less) in my cooking and then he adds more before eating. I have always been taught that it is a grave insult to the chef if someone adds salt before tasting it so this was an issue with us for awhile, but his sodium consumption is so much that he knows my seasonings will not be adequate. Author's note: He doesn't add salt to McDonald's fries so there are limits (thank goodness!).

Anyway, my point is, by keeping the salt above the stove, it is exposed to steam.

Steam can cause clumping and no one wants that so here is a quick tip to fix that problem:


If the openings in your salt shaker are small, add a few grains of rice to the bottom before adding your salt. The rice will absorb any moisture inside the container. With this tip, your salt will flow smoothly from the shaker each and every time you use it. You won't have to tap the shaker on the table anymore to break up any lumps that have formed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...