I love oven roasted chicken, and here is my recipe!
One whole chicken
(Optional) Veggies of your choice (I use onions, celery, carrots, and potatoes)
Herbs of your choice (I use rosemary, garlic, pink salt, freshly crushed pepper, and thyme)
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. If doing veggies, peel and chop your vegetables into wedges and bite-sized
pieces. Arrange them in an even layer on the bottom of the pan to make a
bed for the chicken. If you don't do the veggies that is fine too!
3. Over the sink, slit the plastic wrapping around your
chicken (if it's still wrapped up) and drain out any juices or blood
trapped in the plastic. Reach inside the chicken's body cavity and
remove the bag of giblets. The giblets can be discarded, saved for
stock, or used to make gravy later on.
4. Pat the chicken dry very thoroughly with paper towels or a
kitchen rag. Make sure to absorb any liquid behind the wings or legs.
Blot inside the body cavity too, getting the chicken as dry as you can,
inside and out. Then you can either pin or truss the legs with kitchen twine.
5. Rub the chicken with butter. Rub the
butter all over the chicken, paying special attention to the breast, wing tips, and
6. Sprinkle the outside of the chicken generously with your lemon zest and herbs.
7. Stuff the inside of the chicken with halved lemons.
8. Set the chicken breast-side-up on the bed of vegetables.
The chicken should be lifted an inch or two above the pan by the
9. Put the chicken in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes uncovered.
10. Cover the chicken with tinfoil and put it back in the oven at a lower temperature of 400°F. Set a timer for 1 hour and go about your business.
11. After an hour, check if the chicken is done by inserting an instant-read thermometer in the meatiest part of its thigh.
The internal temperature should be at least 165° for the chicken to be
done. If you're under, put it back in to cook for another 5 to 10
minutes and check it again.
12. Let the chicken rest for about 15 minutes. During this time, you can prepare a salad or side dish or whisk some flour into the pan juices to make gravy.
You can lift the roasted vegetables underneath the chicken out of the
chicken fat left behind in the pan, and serve them as a side dish too.
13. Carve the chicken and serve.