I love chili in the winter months, but there can be too much of a good thing. I like to experiment with different chillies. Here is my recipe for a quick and healthy chili that thinks outside of the box.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- In a pan, saute your onion until soft in the olive oil. Add garlic and saute until onion is transparent.
- Put all your ingredients in a large pot on the stove-top and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the sweet potato is tender, 15-20 minutes